horse lovers welcome

horse lovers welcome

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Windy days and scary monsters

Dear Horse lovers,

Just to give a bit of background, I found Island through an organization called the Western Cape Equine Trust and there is a man working for them that starts re-training the horses before they are rehomed, and I have decided to keep Island at the stables from where he works for three weeks, so that we can all work together to boost Island’s training. So I am now working with the man every time that I work with Island so that he can show me what he has done thus far with my boy and so that I can learn the aids and cues that he uses with Island.

Today we had a VERY windy day. I always find it interesting to see how different horses react to changes in weather. In my experience, windy or rainy conditions make horses more “edgy”. So I was very curious to see what the wind would do to Island’s chilled demeanor. 

I went to fetch him from his field and as we walk down the path to the arena some big scary monster (a leaf of some kind) blew into his but and he shot forward, but bless his heart as soon as I said “WHOA” and tugged a little on the halter he slowed right down to a walk and continued walking happily to the arena.

As he is still in his first week of AHS vaccines we decided to only do a little lunging. The man I am working with started him on the lunge, with us both being in the ring, and did walk and trot transitions on both reigns and the gave over to me to continue. Island was perfect in every way, responding to every cue and walking and trotting beautifully. The wind made no difference to his working state. He was focused, albeit a bit lazy, but he did what we asked of him. I am starting to realize this is so typically him, always wanting to please.

I feel very happy with how he went on the lunge and I only hope for every session to at least be able to end on this note. Island was a bit grumpy today, I think because of the vaccines and probably the wind, but apart from having his ears back there was no change in his attitude. He worked hard and welcomed a cuddle so I am very happy.

After lunging we ended our day with a lovely grooming session while he was hand grazing on a patch of grass outside the arenas. He is a little fart when it comes to eating as he literally tries to stuff all the grass available into his mouth before trying to chew or even swallow. So I had a good laugh at him and often had to lift his head just to give his mouth some time to chew his food properly! 

After having groomed him it was off to the paddock again and we had a relaxed walk back. As we got to his paddock I walked him in and turned him around with me to close the gate and as I turned to close the gate he got a fright from something and pulled backwards, I immediately tugged the halter and said whoa. He stopped, and stood still. I then made him walk a reluctant step or two towards me and then rubbed his face and neck. I took off his halter and he took another two cautious steps backwards before walking towards his hay.

I walked off to close the gate properly and to get his fly mask. I walked back and gave him a rub, put his fly mask on and bid him adiue.

I was very happy to see that the wind didn’t change his attitude, although he was a bit grumpy he still wants cuddles and still works hard and apart from the completely understandable frights he went really well today
I must say that I still need to find my cool when he gets a fright, as it is more intimidating for me on the ground than it is when I am on a horse. I always have a fear of a horse bolting straight over me. Although I feel with Island that his frights are justified and not silly, and that it is still early days with us so we will learn to trust each other and then thing should be much more comfortable and easy. 

Like any relationship, trust is earned and so far I think we are both doing very well. Even though we both get frights we are still considerate of each other (he listens when I say whoa etc) and we both calm down relatively quickly after a fright so I think that the trust is already building, we are seeing that we can trust each other even when danger lurks.

Someone said to me today that I have a sparkle in my eye when I talk about him and it made me think that even though we have only been in each others lives for about a week and a half, it was “love” at first sight and I instantly knew that he was the horse for me when I got on him and the man who was working with him also said that he responds well to me and seems happy in my presence.

I believe that your relationship with your horse is the same as any other relationship you have in your life. It is based on certain pillars: love; respect; trust and communication. It starts with the communication, we need to learn to speak the language of horses in general and then more specifically the language that your own horse speaks. 

Secondly comes respect, your horse needs to learn to respect you as the dominant alpha and needs to respect your leadership and should then submit and become your follower; but you also need to respect that in the end you are working with a 800kg animal that has a mind of its own and ingrained in that mind is a very strong sense of self preservation and a very keen sense of flight rather than fight. 

From this respect flows trust, because as soon as your horse accepts you as his leader he trusts you to keep him from danger just as you should trust him to do the same for you. 

All this then becomes love and attachment, you and your horse become a little herd of two. Many people believe that horses don’t grow to love their owners but I beg to differ. But what ever you may believe, if there is proper communication, trust and respect there is a form of love. And as the other three pillars get stronger so does the forth. They are all intertwined and you need to work on them all on a daily basis and this is where lunging becomes an integral part of training. 

So another day has passed where we learnt something from each other and each day is an opportunity to build on that. 

Love,


Lawquii and Island

No comments:

Post a Comment