horse lovers welcome

horse lovers welcome

Thursday 22 May 2014

Dear Horse lovers,

Today Island moved to his new home, Alpha Equestrian! My morning started out very early; I woke up, got dressed and went to fetch 4 bales of oat hay to keep Island fed till the next load gets delivered. Luckily my dad is not home at the moment else he might have had a heart attack at the state of his 4x4 after picking up the hay! teehee Ill need to get that washed tomorrow!!

Then, with the lovely scent of hay in the car I set off to the stables to meet the transport people who where boxing him over to Alpha. I must admit that I was beyond curious to see how he boxes and to see how he reacts to the change in environment.

I got there and met the man from the transport company. He then introduced me to the groom and we set off to the paddock to fetch Island. The groom had a bridle for loading purposes and again, I was very curious to see Islands reaction to a bridle as I have never ridden him in one, I have only ridden him in a halter.  Nonetheless, we get to his field and get the bridle on hassle free.

It is nice to still be in that curious stage with a new horse. That time where you are still feeling each other out, getting know each others quirks. You are still going to hear me say "I am curious" multiple times over the next few blogs as Island and I find our feet together as a team.

At 10:07 we get to the box and by 10:10 he is loaded, box is closed and we are on the move to his new home!! I am immensely impressed with my boy! He boxed like  an absolute gentleman! All the way to Alpha he continued behaving himself. We got there and opened the back, he slowly and ever so carefully backed out and observed the new world around him. Without a flinch or a moment of hesitation he then walked after the groom to his new paddock.

Chilled as a cucumber and not a hair of worry on his back! I am too proud! It is nice to still be in that curious stage with a new horse. That time where you are still feeling each other out, getting to know each others quirks. You are still going to hear me say "i am curious" multiple times over the next few blogs as Island and I find our feet together as a team.

After the transport company left I set off with 2 yummy slices of oat hay for him. I set it down in the shelter in his field and watched him as he started making friends with a SPCA horse, Micheal, across the fence. He didn't even look at the oat hay, he started munching on the green grass under his feet.

Just a bit of background, at racing stables the horses are kept in the stables all day unless they are out training, so he never knew the joys of grazing there, and the amazing rescue place where I got him from unfortunately is situated in a very sandy area so he also had no grazing there, even though he was turned out. He was also stabled his entire life and will now be living out. I can just imagine his excitement to be able to move around freely (instead of having to trudge through sand) and to be able to graze as any horse should!!

Being so elated must have made my brain fuzzled as I walked all the way down to his paddock without his flymask and then had to walk all the way up to fetch it. As I walked back down he immediately raised his head and walked toward the gate to greet me. I felt so loved :). I then decided to test this and see if he would follow me to the shelter (he seemed a bit skeptical of it) but after walking a few meters he just stood there and watched me, unsure of what it is I want. I clucked at him and he set off after me. To test if he really was walking after me and not just on a whim of his own I walked a few moe meters and the stopped. Although his reaction was slow, only coming to a stop with his bum next to me, he stopped. And again proceeded to walk once I did. It's moment like these that makes me feel special.

I left him eating and happy. I think I was more worried than he was about spending the night out. It is still difficult to get it over my heart that he will be living out but seeing how happy all the horses at my yard is I think he will love it too. I just need to get over it!

Some time this evening I messaged the yard owner to check in and she said that he was relaxed. She also said that when one of the riding school children was jumping in the yard he got all "ye-ha ish" wanting to join in! I feel that this is a good sign as he is not distressed and just getting excited about friends and the workings of the yard.

We will give him the weekend to get use to the yard and his surroundings and the comings and goings of all the people and on monday we start the serious work!

I am honestly so excited for this journey and I look forward to all the new thing I am going to learn. Most of all I look forward to the bond I will be forming with Island Ridge. I also hope to gain many followers on this blog who learn to love Island and who will share their insights and experiences with me!

Love,
Lawquii and Island

P.s I will post pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment